Drug Abuse and Addiction
Substance abusers are often the last ones to recognize their own signs-symptoms of abuse, dependence and addiction. Even when they know they have a problem, drug abusers often try to downplay their drug use and conceal their symptoms.
If you suspect that a friend or loved one is abusing drugs, there are a number of warning
signs you can look for...
SOCIAL: Signs-Symptoms of Drug Abuse and Addiction
FAMILY: Signs-Symptoms of Drug Abuse and Addiction
- Changing several friends or changing peer groups
- Suddenly popular with friends who are older and unknown to family
- Becoming involved with peers when formerly isolated from peers
- More frequent phone calls
- Social activities occurring more often, sometimes at odd hours
- Thrill seeking behaviors - evidenced by law breaking, promiscuity
and other dangerous physical situations
- Isolation from family members (hiding in room, locking bedroom door, and avoiding family activities)
- Exhibiting negative attitude toward rules and parents
- Failing to follow through on promises
- Sneaking out of the house
- Becoming manipulative
SCHOOL: Signs-Symptoms of Drug Abuse
- Lacking motivation and lower grades
- Sleeping in class
- Skipping class or school
- Dropping out of school activities
- Becoming disrespectful of teachers, administrators, and rules
- Frequently being disciplined
- Suspended or Expelled
PHYSICAL: Signs-Symptoms of Drug Abuse and Addiction
- Smelling of alcohol, marijuana, or stale smoke
- Frequent minor illnesses (headaches, nausea, slight tremors, flu-like symptoms, vomiting, sluggishness)
- Neglects taking prescribed medications or takes more medications than usual
- Memory lapses
- Weight changes or unusual eating patterns (types of foods, amounts, time of day)
- Frequent use of eye drops for bloodshot eyes
- Change in normal sleep patterns (frequent naps)
- Injuries occurring more often
- Frequent infections or infections which don't heal
- More frequent complaints of pain or illness
LEGAL: Signs-Symptoms of Drug Abuse and Addiction
- Shoplifting or stealing from family members
- Unruly behaviors like skipping school and not following family rules
- Incidents or charges for public intoxication,
vandalism, breaking and entering, underage alcohol/tobacco use
- Involved in car accidents or near misses
- Selling drugs
EMOTIONAL: Signs-Symptoms of Drug Abuse and Addiction
OTHER: Signs-Symptoms of Drug Abuse and Addiction
- Impaired judgment (putting self in dangerous situations)
- Talking about or attempting
- Violent or threatening (verbally or physically)
- Lethargic or apathetic
- Mood swings
- Burned Out
- Operating at an inappropriate maturity level
- Poor management of money
- Spending large sums of money and asking for money
- Having drug paraphernalia in bedroom or school locker
- Reading drug oriented magazines
- Wearing drug oriented clothing and accessories
- Using drug slang, talking about drugs
Many people who don't think of themselves as drug abusers can become dependent on chemical substances, either legal or illegal.
A common thread that runs through all drug abusers is loss of control.
What are the effects of drug abuse? - Signs-Symptoms
In addition to lifestyle changes, drug abuse can have serious
short-term and long-term medical effects, such as;
- Dangerous heart rate increase and/or blood pressure
- Hepatitis or AIDS through shared needles
- Sleeplessness and tremors
- Liver, lung, and kidney impairment
- Sudden death (from misuse of
heart attack or stroke)
DRUG WITHDRAWAL - Signs-Symptoms of Drug Abuse and Addiction
Drug withdrawal refers to the signs-symptoms
that appear when
a drug that causes physical dependence (used regularly for a long time) is
suddenly discontinued or decreased in dosage.
Drug withdrawal symptoms can vary significantly
individuals, but there are some commonalities;
If the withdrawal is extreme enough, it could drive the individual to continue the drug despite significant harm to themselves or even to
Addiction should be carefully distinguished from physical dependence.
Addiction is a psychological compulsion to use a drug despite harm that often persists long after all physical
withdrawal symptoms have faded away.
Physical dependence (or drug dependence) refers to a state resulting from habitual use of a drug, where negative physical withdrawal symptoms result from abrupt discontinuation.
- increased heart rate and/or blood pressure
- sweating and tremors are common signs of withdrawal.
Also, the length and the degree of an addiction can directly relate to the severity of the withdrawal.
More serious symptoms such as confusion, seizures, and visual hallucinations indicate a serious emergency and the need for immediate medical care.
What should you do if you suspect drug abuse or addiction in yourself or others?
Both drug abuse and drug addiction can be successfully treated, but the
process is much easier and much more likely to be successful if it is started early. So don't delay. You can and should
as soon as you suspect drug abuse.
To start the process, you can get information leading to help for yourself or a loved one from your physician, or from a good treatment center such as Narconon on this Recovery Network website.
Many resources appear in the listings below, including:
Drug Rehab Texas
Bay Area Recovery Center, drug rehab Texas We offer a real solution to individuals affected by alcoholism and drug addiction.
offer organized and structured services with individual, group, and family therapy for people with drug abuse problems. Research shows that when appropriate treatment is given and when a prescribed program is followed, treatment can work.
There are addiction treatment centers available for substance users to recover from their chemical dependency.
More Resources on Signs of Drug Addiction
Addiction Bible Scriptures
12 Step Program
How To STOP The Madness!
Instant PDF Download
Get A In Depth Look At One Of The Most Noteworthy Guides On Drug Abuse Available On The Market Today!
This (79-page) drug abuse handbook is extremely informative and helpful. You can't find such a complete guide like this in any store, on the internet, or even at your local library.
It doesn't matter if you have concerns about your own drug use or you're just looking for answers...this guide is loaded with incredible insight on drug abuse!
Ask yourself, has the use of drugs taken over my life? Are you finally looking to break the cycle? Do you or someone you know need some help?
Here's a "small preview" of what you'll discover in
Drug Abuse - How To STOP The Madness!
- Why People Use Drugs
- The Attraction Of Illegal Drugs
- The Innocence Of Prescription Drugs
- The Pull Of Nicotine
- Identifying Drug Problems
- Spotting Signs In Others
- How Addiction Works
- What Happens At Rehab?
- Safe Detoxing
- Do The 12-Steps Work?
- Building Self-Esteem
- Involving The Family
- Intervention (How To Do It)
- Staying Clean and Sober
- Teens And Drugs ("Startling Information")
This ebook is for both the addicted and for those who have a loved one battling addiction. PLUS, you get this...
12-Page "Special Report" BONUS!
Prescription Drugs Abuse And Addiction
An estimated 48 million people (ages 12 and older) have used prescription drugs for non-medical reasons in their lifetimes.
A survey of 8th, 10th, 12th graders reported using Vicodin without a prescription in the past year, and 50 percent reported using OxyContin making these medications among the most commonly abused prescription drugs by adolescents.
The biggest bonus of all is that you can be reading both of these ebooks in less than 90 seconds from now!
to get your Drug Abuse - How To STOP The Madness! ebook and
Prescription Drugs - Abuse And Addiction "BONUS Report" now!
You Also Get A Full 30-Day No-Risk 100% Money Back Guarantee!
At anytime from the date of your purchase up until a FULL 30-DAYS, if you’re not completely satisfied with the Drug Abuse - How To STOP The Madness! ebook, just send a simple email and you’ll get a prompt and courteous REFUND, no questions asked!
(Note: Refund email: email@example.com
and it's also posted on the download page)
Click HERE To Get Yours NOW!
Don't Forget To Sign Up For Your FREE Ezine!
Get 2 MORE Ebooks With Ezine Sign Up!
Drugs, Brains And Behavior - The Science Of Addiction
Drug addiction and abuse is a disease that affects individuals, families, and communities. This ebook provides information about the disease of drug addiction, and the basic approaches that have been developed to prevent and treat drug addiction.
How Much Is Too Much?
You don’t have to be an alcoholic to have a problem. Alcoholism or alcohol dependence is a disease that usually
gets worse unless it is treated. Find out in this ebook the early signs and symptoms of alcoholism. Do you have a drinking problem? Take the CAGE test and find out.
Addiction Recovery Gifts & Merchandise
Apparel, Jewelry, Medallions, Books, DVD's and More!
GO TO Sobriety Mall
Signs-Symptoms - Go To TOP OF PAGE
You can SEARCH
this entire website by adding a Keyword(s)
to the Google Search Box
to find the exact topic you are looking for.
(i.e., drugs, alcohol, teen drug abuse, statistics, etc.)